You can find the Gantt Chart in the applications menu. If you want to go to Gantt Chart directly, please click here.
Within the Gantt Chart application you can make, in a similar way as in Microsoft Project, a gantt chart for your project. The project planning is visible in the Planboard application and with version management you can save multiple versions of the planning. In Gantt Chart you can see the planning for one project, or multiple projects in the same view. You can add, edit or change the planning for the projects as well.
To start planning you first need to select the project which you need to plan. You can select the project based on different views, you can setup. More about views you can find later in this article.
Once the project is selected, you can start making the planning.
- After selecting the right project in the views, you can start making the planning. You can add a version, change a version and deleted versions (see version management) in the version menu. By default a version is made as a baseline version.
- The planning is made per activity. To change the planning for the activity you can change the date by double clicking the activity and change the start- and enddate. The other way is drag the line to the enddate in the planning.
- We've added multiple columns the Gantt Chart:
- Notifications: Show the notifications of this activity. Only visible when in settings the option 'show notifications' is selected
- Activity name: Name of the activity
- Activity code: Code of the activity
- Budgeted hours: number of hours budgeted for the activity
- Startdate: Start date of the activity based on the Gantt planning
- Enddate: End date of the activity based on the Gantt planning
- Start resource: Start date of the activity, based on the first resource booking in planboard
- End resource: End date of the activity, based on the last resource booking in planboard
- Planned hours: Number of planned hours based on resource planning
- Open request bookings: Number of open hours in the planboard.
- Status: Status of the activity
- Estimate: Estimated hours, based on planning and submitted progress *
- Label: Field you can define per activity *
- Comment: Field where you can add your comments *
* To change or define this field you need to double click on the planning or by a right click with the mouse and selecting 'Edit bar'
By double-clicking the activity you get the change to make changes in the selected activity.
- Code: You can change the activity code
- Name: You can change the activity name
- Budgeted hours: You can change the budgeted hours
- Team-manager: You can change the teammanager
- Status: You can change the status of the activity
- Color: Change the activity-colour (visible in Gantt and Planboard)
- Milestone: Mark the activity as a milestone. A milestone is a one day activity marked with a diamond shape
- Resource bookings: Allow that resources can be booked on this activity
- Gantt Chart: Make this activity visible or not in the Gantt Chart
- You can drag and drop the activity into another one to ensure the activity will be a sub-activity. In projects this is called 'indent right'
- When the activity is a sub-activity already and it should be a normal activy, you can drag and drop it 'indent left' to make sure the activity is not longer a sub activity
With a right mouse click on the activity you can open the activity menu. In this menu you will find several options:
- Add activity: Add a new activity to the project
- Add progress: Add progress and an estimation to the particular activity
- Edit activity: Edit the selected activity. You can edit the details discussed above.
- Edit bar: Edit the planning
- Delete dependency's: Once you've set a dependency on the activity, this is the place to remove it
- Indent activity
- Outdent activity:
- Clear planning: The planning for the activity will be removed from the project-planning
- Linkup planning:
- Go to start date: Move to the start date of this specific activity
Relate activity's to each other
To make a relation between two activity's you can simply drag and drop the from the cirkle in activity A to the cirkle in activity B. Once you have done this both activity's will move by moving or changing the start date of one of the two activity's.
Delete relationship between the activity's
You can easily delete the relation between two activity's by right clicking the activity, go to delete dependency and select the activity which you want to delete.
Changing the project planning
If you need to change the planning you can do this easily within the current version or by making a new version. To edit the planning:
- You can extend the duration of the activity by dragging it back (left side of the bar) or further into the feature (right side).
- You can double-click on the bar and change the start- and enddate of the activity. This will change the place and size of the bar based on the input.
To change the current view into a view that fits better for your wishes their are several buttons and options available:
- You can change the scale of the view by pressing one of the two zoom buttons. With the plus you can zoom in, which gives you a more detailed (daily) overview. With the minus you can zoom out and get a more overall (monthly- quarterly) overview.
- With the 'fit to screen' button the screen will show the total planning of the selected project or selected projects
- With the expand and collapse activity buttons you can expand all the projects and activity's to show them all in the planning. With collapse planning you can see the overall planning of the entire project, without a detailed activity overview.
- With the plus button you can add a new activity to the project on the highest level. If you like to indent this activity, you should do this after you add the activity.
To make sure you can always inform the client with the latest version of the planning you can make multiple versions of the Gantt Chart planning for each project. Multiple versions makes it possible to keep the first version and update them based on the resource planning and the project progress.
- The first version is always a baseline version. If you like to change this, you can press edit (behind the version) and change it to a draft version
- If you need to add a new version, you can add a new version. After pressing add version, you need to fill in:
- The name of the new version
- On which this version is based. You can base this version on one of the earlier versions, on the resource bookings or based on 'none'. In this case it will open a complete new version. If you choose 'Based on resource bookings' it will take the resource bookings made in the planboard into account. The first booking made on the activity will be the startdate, the date of the last booking will be the enddate of the activity.
- The status of the new versions. Options are 'Draft' or 'Baseline'
Multi project view
Within the Gantt Chart application it is possible to get a multi project planning overview. This will give you the opportunity to see the projectplanning for multiple projects in one overview. To get this project overview you can simply choose multiple projects in the side bar. You can collapse or expand the view to make sure you see exactly what you need to see. Standard multi project overview show you the total projectplanning. By expanding, it will show all activity's and by collapsing the activity's it will show only the project overview.
In Gantt Chart it is possible to setup your own view and/or create views for other resources within your organisation. Their is one view pre-defined called 'All active projects' which will show all projects currently marked as active.
By adding a new view you can make sure the view will show only the projects that needs to be showed. You can add multiple conditions to define the view. For example, you can choose field 'Project manager' and as condition 'is equal to'. If you select 'Current user' in the value field it will show only projects where the current user is the project manager.
Once selected all the conditions you can choose to share the view with a group of users. You can share the view with a user profile and set this up in masters -> user profiles.
At the bottom of the screen their are some other options:
- Settings: Here you can change the view settings. You can setup the different kind of texts in the planning, you can change the color of the bar and select if you want to see the progress, the notifications and the critical path.
- Export: If you select export, the planning will be exported to PDF. Before the planning is exported you can choose the columns which you want to be exported
- Refresh data: Refresh the data based on the latest changes you or other resources made within Timewax.
- Hide sidebar: Pressing this button will hide the side bar
- Hide version: Pressing this button will hide the version field